There are times when you find it difficult to get a good night’s sleep on occasion but if happens all the time you probably have insomnia. Insomnia is basically waking up repeatedly throughout the night or difficulty in sleeping which reduces your ability to function the following day. Research shows that there are natural remedies that can help provide relief to insomnia. Here are some natural remedies that are worth looking into.
- Meditation. Meditation is found to be quite effective in promoting better sleep because it helps reduce your stress levels by practicing deep breathing. There are different meditation practices that you can try out such as yoga and guided meditation that can help quiet your mind and prepare you for better sleep.
- Aromatherapy. Another natural remedy to solving insomnia is aromatherapy. A particular scent that is highly recommended is English lavender which has been used for ages to treat insomnia. Studies have shown that lavender essential oil can help increase deep sleep, increase sleeping time, and help rejuvenate you the following day. The lavender essential oil works better in women because they are more sensitive to smell. You can add a few drops of the oil on your pillow or your bath to breathe in the scent of lavender.
- Diet. The type of food you eat can have an effect on your sleep. For example, caffeine and alcohol can prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep because of the chemical compounds they contain that increase your wakefulness. What you can do is to look for types of food that promote sleep such as whole grain crackers because of the carbohydrates that they contain. It is also recommended that you reduce your sugar consumption as it can wreak havoc to your blood sugar levels. This in turn can disrupt your sleep.
- Valerian. Valerian is another herbal remedy that can be taken as supplement or brewed as tea in order to relieve anxiety and help you sleep better. The herb is believed to calm the neurotransmitters in the body to relieve pain during menstrual period and muscle spasms. This should be drank or taken an hour before bed time.
- Chamomile Tea. Chamomile is another natural treatment that can help with your insomnia. This herb is said to help with digestion, reduce anxiety, and minimize tension in the muscles. It is best that you drink this tea after your dinner and not before you go to sleep as you might wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.
Yes, there are medications that can help you sleep at night but why rely on pills when you can go the natural way? Following these natural remedies is not only safe but guarantees results.