Sweet potatoes are a good source of nutritional powerhouses. Their weight and health benefits’ far exceed the nutritional value that are found in ordinary white and yellow fleshed potatoes.
Below are the nutritional and health benefits of sweet potatoes:
1. Rich in beta-carotene
Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene. Vitamin A is useful in the prevention of several different types of cancer. Beta-carotene helps to internally protect the skin from sun damage by repairing cell damage caused by excessive UV exposure.
Sweet potatoes are a good source of dietary fiber, that helps regulate digestion and maintain a healthy digestive tract.
Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin B6, which is vital in the breaking down a substance called homocysteine, that contributes to the hardening of blood vessels and arteries. It helps keep the walls of these important blood passageways healthy, allowing the blood to flow freely.
4. Source of manganese
Sweet potatoes contain manganese, a mineral that is important in the metabolism of carbohydrates which helps support healthy blood sugar levels. It is also a co-factor in enzymes that play a vital role in the generation of energy, as well as the efficient utilization of antioxidants.
5. Good Source of Vitamins C and E
Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamins C and E. These are antioxidant vitamins that have an important role in disease prevention and longevity. Both of these vitamins also play an important role in the beauty and health the skin and hair.
Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
1 sweet potato
Ground black pepper
1. Set the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. You can choose to peel the potatoes or not.
2. Cut the potato into ½ to ¾ inches thick.
3. Place the sweet potato fries into the baking sheet and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt. Also add ground black pepper. You may drizzle the fries with about 1/8 cup of oil.
4. Place in the oven for at least 15 minutes. Afterward, take them out and flip and return to oven for around 10 minutes.
5. May take 1 hour and 30 minutes to make, and can serve 2 to 3 people.