Coconut oil is loaded with lauric acid, anti-microbial properties and medium-chain fatty acids that help strengthen your hair, regrow your hair and condition the scalp.
There is no denying the many benefits that coconut oil has to offer on your health. But how about when it is used topically?
You are all familiar with the health benefits of coconut oil and it’s time to bring light to its other uses. One of which is, using it as an all-natural and multi-tasking hair care product. Rich in minerals, vitamins and other nutrients, the nourishing benefits coconut oil for hair keeps your hair from hair loss, dandruff and hair damage.
Here is How to Use Coconut Oil to Prevent Hair Loss, Dandruff and Hair Damage:
1. Coconut Oil for Hair Loss
1. Warm the coconut oil in warm water.
2. Thoroughly dampen your hair with warm water.
3. Put 1 tablespoon of the warm coconut oil and apply to your hair. You can use 2 tablespoons for shoulder length hair and at least 4 tablespoons for longer hair. Apply the coconut oil directly into the roots of your hair, using your fingertips.
4. Massage your scalp for at least 3 minutes to get the maximum effects.
5. Cover your hair with a shower cap.
6. Wait for 20-30 minutes minimum. You can choose to leave the shower cap on overnight for best results.
7. Rinse off using a sulfate and preservative free shampoo. Do not use conditioner.
2. Coconut Oil for Dandruff Treatment
1. Wash your hair first.
2. Combine 2 teaspoons of coconut oil with 5 drops of essential oils such as tea tree oil, thyme, lavender and wintergreen. These oil helps to fight yeast and fungus.
3. Work the mixture into your scalp, from the neck to forehead and behind the ears.
4. Cover using a shower cap. You can use a hair dryer and set on low setting to heat the cap for at least 20-30 minutes.
5. Remove the cap and wash using a gentle natural shampoo.
Repeat this at least 2 to 3 times per week. Also, like with the hair growth treatment, you can leave it on overnight.
3. Coconut Oil for Repairing Hair Damage
1. For long hair, take a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil and gently heat in a cup by putting it in hot water, until the oil melts completely into liquid. For shorter hair, reduce the measure to half a teaspoon.
2. Once melted, work the oil through your hair, using your fingers. Start at the roots through the ends. Make sure to massage your scalp as you work the oil through.
3. Use a comb and brush the oil throughout your hair, ensuring that your entire head is covered.
4. Pull your hair back using a hair tie and cover with a plastic shower cap. Leave it on overnight.
5. Rinse using your normal shampoo and conditioner in the morning.