Arthritis is a condition which is characterized by inflammation of the joints in your body usually accompanied by swelling, stiffness and pain. This disease is common among older individuals and is usually treated with anti-inflammatory drugs.
But did you know that there is a natural medicine that has shown effective cure for reducing joint inflammations caused by arthritis? Ginger is not only known for its uses in cooking, but it is used for centuries to treat various conditions in the body.
What Makes Ginger Effective for Arthritis Pain?
A study by the University of Miami concluded that ginger extract could be an alternative to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs. The study compared the effects of a highly concentrated ginger extract to placebo ones in 247 patients with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee. The ginger reduced stiffness and pain in knee joints by 40% over the placebo.
What makes ginger effective? Ginger contains anti-ulcer, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities, as well as a small amount of analgesic property, that is according to Roberta Lee, MD, vice chair of the Department of Integrative Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center based in New York City.
1. Adding Fresh Ginger to Your Meals
Researchers at the University of Georgia in Athens and Georgia State College & University in Milledgeville reported in the Journal of Pain that a few tablespoons of grated ginger can help ease muscle pain caused by exercise.
You can add a few tablespoons to your diet by grating ginger over a salad or into a stir fry.
You can add fresh ginger to your daily meals. Use finely minced form of ginger and sauté in hot oil with the rest of the ingredients. Ginger also makes a great addition to meals such as soups and stews for its smell and taste.
2. Ginger Drink
2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup water
1 inch grated ginger
1 teaspoon honey
1. Boiled 1 cup of water in a pan.
2. Add the grated ginger.
3. Boil the water for 10 minutes.
4. Strain it.
5. Add 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice.
6. Add 1 teaspoon honey.
7. Drink 2-3 cups daily, until the pain subsides.
3. Ginger Oil Massage
Ginger essential oil have chemicals which have anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. It helps in relieving arthritis pain by acting on the vanilloid receptors, which is located on the nerve endings of sensory nerves.
1. Take 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and heat for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add 3-4 drops of ginger essential oil.
3. Allow the oil to cool down just a bit.
4. Massage the mixture in affected joints and muscles for 10-15 minutes.
5. Massage the painful areas with the mixture at least 1 to 2 times daily.
For additional benefits, you can add ½ teaspoon turmeric into the mixture.
Note: Use gentle strokes while massaging the joints to prevent any pain or damage.
1. 7 Alternative Remedies for Arthritis Pain
2. What Happens to Your Health When You Drink Ginger Juice in the Morning?
3. Why You Should Drink This Pineapple Turmeric Beverage to Ease Gout