Aam Panna is one of the popular Summer drinks in North India. It is made using the pulp of cooked raw mangoes along with jaggery and some spices.
It is considered to be the best and healthy drink to beat Indian summer heat. This is because green mangoes are rich in oxalic acid, malic acid and citric acid. This drink is used to treat gastro intestinal disorders, increase the resistance against tuberculosis, cholera, anaemia and dysentery.
Check out the Mango recipe below:
3 raw mangoes
6 tablespoon jaggery syrup
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 lemons (about 1/2 cup of juice)
1. Peel and cut the mangoes. You can choose not to throw out the tough core, as you can still use it.
2. Toss the mango cubes and cores into a large pot. Add 4 cups of water. Then cook in medium heat for about 45-60 minutes, or until the mango cubes are completely soft. If the water starts to run low, add a little more.
3. If the mangoes turned soft, turn off heat and let cool.
4. Using medium heat, add in the cumin seeds and dry roast them for about 30-60 seconds. Then grind the roasted seeds.
5. Add the boiled mango mash into a blender. Then add a cup of water, jaggery, lemon juice, salt and cumin seeds.
6. Blend into a puree.
7. Transfer the puree to a large jar and add a mixture of ice and cold water. The total amount should equal to about 8 cups.
You can adjust the jaggery, salt and lemon juice levels as the sweetness of mangoes vary.