Turmeric which is the staple spice present in most household is loaded with various medicinal properties. Turmeric contains a wide range of minerals, vitamins, proteins and dietary fiber, which makes it a powerful anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, expectorant, carminative, antiseptic and anti-carcinogenic agent.
Benefits of Turmeric for Sore Throat, Indigestion, Coughs and Cold:
1. Turmeric for Indigestion/Acid Reflux
Turmeric’s stems, or rhizomes, can be dried and ground into a powder. The powder can be taken orally or used when cooking.
How to Use:
Unless you drink lots of turmeric tea or add turmeric to all your recipes, it may be difficult for you to consume enough turmeric to treat acid reflux. Organic turmeric extract supplements may be a much better way to get medicinal amounts.
Your body absorbs curcumin and turmeric poorly. The spice and its extract are both rapidly metabolized by your intestinal wall and liver. Many methods of delivery have been studied to increase the bio-availability of curcumin. But none have taken hold at this time.
One way to increase the absorption of turmeric is to consume it with piperine. It is commonly found in black pepper.
When searching for turmeric supplements, look for brands that contain piperine or black pepper extract as an ingredient.
2. Turmeric with Ginger and Honey Cough Remedy
If the cough is caused by either a general lung inflammation or viral infection, turmeric may potentially be helpful.
Both turmeric and ginger contain antiviral and antibacterial properties that helps in fighting against the infections causing microbes in your respiratory system. While honey soothes the irritated throat. This combination process is highly effective in treating cough.
1. Add 2–4 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger, 2 pinches of ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder, 1/2 cup of honey and freshly grated zest of 1 organic lemon in a bowl.
2. Stir well.
3. Store this mixture using an airtight glass container.
4. Boil 1 cup of water in a pan. Then let it cool slightly.
5. Stir a few teaspoons of this cough syrup in water. Then drink it.
– You can also add this mix to your favorite brewed tea.
3. Turmeric Gargle for Sore Throat
You can mix salt and turmeric in warm water to make an effective gargle solution that will relieve sore throat.
1 cup Warm water
½ teaspoon Organic turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Table salt
1. Pour 1 cup of warm water into a container.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of common table salt and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
3. Mix well.
4. Gargle with this solution, first thing in the morning.
– Gargle with this solution at least twice daily, once in the morning and in the evening, for 2-4 days to treat your sore throat.
– Make sure that you do not drink or eat for at least 30 minutes after you gargle. This is to let the turmeric and salt to work unhindered.